A Summary On Thyroid Disease
The thyroid is a butterfly-shaped gland inside your neck just above the collarbone. It is one of the endocrine glands that make hormones in the body. Thyroid hormones control several activities in the body that include the rate of burning calories, heart rate, and more. All these activities are part of the body’s metabolism and important for healthy living.
Some common thyroid disorders are:
- Goiter – Thyroid gland enlargement
- Hyperthyroidism – Glands produce more thyroid hormones than required
- Hypothyroidism – Gland does not produce enough thyroid hormones than required
- Thyroid cancer
- Thyroid nodules – Lumps in the thyroid glands
- Thyroiditis – Thyroid gland swelling
Thyroid doctors in Kolkata have years of experience in effectively treating all disorders. They use physical exams, thyroid tests, medical history, and sometimes biopsy to determine the problem. Treatments for thyroid disorders include medicine, radioiodine therapy, or surgery.
Symptoms of Thyroid
There are a variety of symptoms that one can suffer from if one has thyroid disease. The problem with the symptoms is that they are similar to the symptoms of other diseases of natural disorders from aging. The symptoms of thyroid can be divided into two groups:
- Symptoms of Hypothyroidism
- Anxiety, irritability, nervousness, and other mood disorders
- Weight loss
- Suffer from goiter
- Muscle weakness and tremors
- Irregular menstruation in women
- Sensitive to heat
- Irritation in the eye or other eye disorders
- Symptoms of Hypothyroidism
- Weight gain
- Weak memory
- Frequent menstruation
- Dry hair
- Sensitive to cold
The Reasons To Thyroid Disorder
The two main thyroid diseases include hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism. Both the conditions are triggered by other health disorders that affect the thyroid glands and alter their normal functioning.
Here are some common causes of hypothyroidism:
- Thyroiditis – An inflammation or swelling in the thyroid glands that lowers the hormone production.
- Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis – It is a painless disease that is autoimmune and can damage thyroid cells. Additionally, this disorder is hereditary.
- Iodine Deficiency – the thyroid gland uses iodine to produce the hormones. Iodine deficiency interferes with hormone production leading to thyroid disorders.
- Non-functioning Thyroid – A non-functioning thyroid is a rare disorder that happens from birth. The untreated are often diagnosed with several physical disorders.
Here are some common causes of hyperthyroidism:
- Grave’s Disease -In this disorder the gland is generally overactive and produces more hormones than required. It is also called a toxic goiter.
- Nodules – Hyperthyroidism causes nodules that make the thyroid overactive. Each nodule can create a toxic functioning nodule which can cluster into a toxic multinodular goiter.
- Thyroiditis – The disease releases hormones that are stored in the thyroid. This disease is curable and can last for a few weeks or months.
- Excessive Iodine Intake – Excessive iodine in the body forces the thyroid to produce more hormones than needed. Iodine is mostly found in some heart medications and cough syrups.
Who Does Thyroid Affect?
Thyroid disease affects men, women, children, and the elderly equally. The disease can be present at birth or can develop with age. Sometimes the disease is hereditary and develops itself over time.
Thyroid disease is very common and is estimated to have affected almost 42 million people in India. The disease is five to eight times more likely to affect a woman than a man.
Here are some major reasons for the development of the thyroid:
- Having a family history of thyroid
- Medical conditions like diabetes, anemia, lupus, turner syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis, and more.
- Take medication that has higher iodine content.
- Crossing the age of 60
- Thyroid cancer or any extensive treatment for thyroid
Treatment By Thyroid Doctors in Kolkata
Thyroid doctors in Kolkata provide the best treatment options for the thyroid. Besides basic medication, there are several self-care and natural techniques to control the thyroid. Thyroid doctors in Kolkata understand the importance of diet and balanced exercise which allows them to offer simple and effective treatment. Extensive treatments from thyroid doctors include tests, extensive medication routine, and surgery in the worst cases.
Guestbeat.com Disclaimer, Warnings!
Audience discretion is needed. Please utilize the mentioned links, products and services, and tips at your own risk and due diligence, consult with the certified professionals in the field before utilizing any mentioned links, products and services, and tips on this platform and its all associated products and services. Read our full Terms and conditions and all policies.